“In the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves…disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, without natural affection…lovers of pleasure more than lovers of God;” (2 Timothy 3:1-4 KJV)
Have you ever wondered why our schools, our families and our nation are declining morally? Some time ago I was handed a pamphlet called “Unplugged.” The statistics* are so interesting I thought I would pass some of them on to you.
- Number of minutes per week parents spent in meaningful conversations with their children: 38.5 minutes.
- Number of minutes per week that the average child watches TV: 1,680 minutes.
- 99% of households have a TV.
- 66% have 3 or more TV sets.
- 66% watch TV while eating dinner.
- Number of hours per day that TV is on in a home: 6 hours, 45 minutes.
- Number of videos rented daily: 6 Million
- 70% of day care centers use TV and videos during the day.
- 73% of parents would like to limit their children’s TV watching.
- 54% of 4-6 year-olds when asked, preferred watching TV before spending time with their fathers
- 54% of American children have a TV in their bedroom.
- Numbers of murders seen on TV by the time an average American child finishes elementary school: 8,000.
- Number of violent acts seen on TV by age 18: 200,000.
- 79% of Americans believe that TV causes real life mayhem.
- Chances that an American parent requires that their children do their homework before watching TV: 1 in 12.
Add to this the availability of personal computers, tablets and smart phones. Where is the time for a personal relationship with their God and with their family? Where are our children getting their moral compass for life? Have we delegated this to the public schools? Who is diligently teaching your children? Who is talking to them when they sit in your house, when they walk by the way, and when they lie down, and when they get up in the morning? Are you even eating, walking and talking together?
Need I say more?
* Compiled by: TV-Free America, 1611 Connecticut Ave., NW-Suite 3A. Washington, DC 20009
You might also like these articles...
Never Criticize That Which You Wish Your Child To Respect
“… Brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of a good report: if there be any virtue, if there be any praise, think on these things.” Philippians 4:8 I am certain that one reason I am in the…
Give Your Children a Family Altar
“He spake unto the children of Israel, saying, When your children shall ask their fathers in time to come, saying, What means these stones? Then ye shall let your children know, saying, Israel came over this Jordan on dry land. For the Lord your God dried up the waters of Jordan from before you, until…
Give Your Child A Christian Education
“But bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord” Ephesians 6:3 “The reason I do not send my children to a Christian school is that I want my child to be able to stand in this world—I don’t want them to be a “hothouse plant”.” This reasoning seems sound on the surface,…
Leave a Comment